We live in an age where pollution is at its peak and there are several different health problems which are caused by an individual because of the same. This is the reason why sometimes a sore and scratchy throat is taken lightly by a lot of people. However, it could be a much bigger problem than it seems to be. This soreness and scratchiness of the throat can be signs of Strep Throat. It is a condition wherein due to a bacterial infection a person might have a throat that is scratchy and sore. The following article would help you in knowing more about what Strep throat is, what are its signs and symptoms, and how it can be cured.
What is Strep Throat?
There are a lot of people who do not know about this concept and therefore would want to know what Strep throat is. It is an infection that takes place in the throat as well as the tonsils of an individual. The bacterium that causes this condition is known as Streptococcal pharyngitis. This is the bacterium that lives in the nose and throat of the person who has strep throat. It can also be spread by coming in contact with such people. Mostly, when the strep infected people sneeze or cough then they release water droplets into the air which has this bacterium in it. A person can get infected if he or she rubs his or her mouth or face after touching the infected surface. Also, this is the kind of condition which is most common in teens as well as children. Therefore, the possibility of it spreading to different people also increases as kids are usually careless and tend to contaminate things more.
Strep throat Signs and Symptoms
Some of the most common signs and symptoms that can help in identifying a Strep throat include a severely sore throat. Even though a sore throat can be due to several reasons a classic sign is that the individual would have a runny nose as well. Also, the most prominent symptom of this issue is that there is a raw feeling in the throat and the individual would feel a lot of pain while swallowing. Other signs and symptoms of this include the following:
- High Fever
- White patches may occur on the throat.
- There could also be visibility of tiny little red spots on the roof of the mouth.
- A loss of appetite.
- Body ache.
- Rashes all over the body.
- A feeling of nausea and vomiting.
All of these are very clear signs and symptoms of this condition and an individual should start proper medication as soon as they witness any of the above.
How can Strep throat be diagnosed?
It is not a very serious condition but has to be treated well so that it does not happen again and again. There are majorly two ways in which this Strep throat can be identified and treated.
In this test the doctor holds out the tongue of an individual with a depressor. They take a cotton swab and take a sample from the backside of the throat of that individual. The patient can get the result of these samples within 20 minutes or even less. This test would help in indicating whether the person has it or not. If in case the test comes out to be positive then the doctor would prescribe the appropriate medicines for its treatment.
By taking a Throat Culture Sample:
Cotton swab would be rubbed at the back of the throat as well as on the tonsils. A person infected by strep would have the bacteria present in the sample which would bring out a positive result for the test. The same treatment as above would be followed wherein the doctor would provide the individual with the right kind of medicines so that the infection, as well as its symptoms, can be cured properly and promptly without any delays in the same.
Tips for treating or avoiding Strep Throat:
Prevention is always better than cure. This is something that we’ve all heard since childhood. Strep throat even though it is not a very huge thing but with some very simple home remedies and steps a person would be able to either completely avoid the condition or if by some means he or she has contracted the diseases then they would be able to cure the same as quickly as possible.
- When a person suffers from even the slightest symptoms of Strep throat then he or she should make sure to gargle with warm saltwater. This would help in killing any initial bacterium because of which the condition would not become very serious.
- Proper medications that are prescribed by the doctor should be taken at the right time and in the right quantity so that both the fever as well as pain if any can be soothed.
- Sucking on different hard candies that are good for the throat would help an individual in easing the raw feeling of the throat and would also ensure that the infections get cured quickly.
- Any kind of acidic drink must be avoided as it may give a stinging sensation in the throat.
- A person should drink hot beverages and also ensure that he or she gets an ample amount of rest so that the infection can be treated properly.
Some of the Physical Indications of Strep Throat:
To identify what strep throat looks like an individual must consider the following signs:
- The tonsils or the inside of the throat become extremely red and swollen.
- Tiny red spots start to occur at the back of the throat as well as on the roof of the mouth.
- White patches start to become visible on the throat.
Finally, it can be said that Strep throat is a condition which people do not have to be scared of, however, it is important to understand the signs as well as the symptoms well so that corrective measures can be taken with the help of which a person can avoid contracting it and for its treatment as well.
Jackson Roy’s client work mainly focuses on health transformation enabled by technology. He wishes to bring transformation to the health care industry and has a keen interest in writing informational articles.