An Optavia diet is quite different from that of the conventional diet plans we usually pick. You can eat prepackaged food without spending too much time cooking. It is a low-calorie diet that will surely help you get rid of those extra pounds but a little intimidating to maintain. Let us find out what we can eat and what not in this diet plan.
What is an optavia diet?
The Optavia diet is designed and owned by Medifast. It is a meal supplement producing company that has come up with this unique concept. The company has aimed at solving the prime hurdle of time people face while following a diet plan. It produces packaged food along with home-style meals accounting for restricted calories. On consuming such meals and following a diet plan, you will be able to reduce weight significantly. The difference between Medifast and Optavia diet plans is that the latter has a coaching session done by the nutritionists.
Types of Optavia Diet
This is an optavia weight loss plan where five meals from Optimal Health Fuelings and one from Lean and Green meal are added daily.
This is also an optavia weight loss plan but for those who need a little more calories and flexible food choices. In this plan, four meals are included from Optimal Health Fuelings, 2 from Lean and Green, and one based on snacks every day.
This meal plan is designed for maintaining weight loss in the due course. As we can easily understand, it contains 3 meals from Optimal Health Fuelings and 3 from Lean and Green.
Foods to eat in optavia diet plans
For beginners, a proper meal plan is mandatory. For this, one needs to know what he/she can eat. Here is a summary of the requirements you can buy from the market.
- Meat – turkey, chicken, lean beef, lamb, game meats, pork chops, ground meat (85% lean)
- Shellfish and fish – trout, salmon, halibut, lobster, shrimp, crab, scallops.
- Eggs – egg whites, whole eggs, etc.
- Soy – tofu only
- Vegetable oils – flaxseed oil, walnut oil, olive oil, canola oil
- Healthy fats – olives, almonds, walnuts, avocado, pistachios
- Low carbohydrate veggies – collard greens, celery, spinach, cucumbers, cabbage, mushrooms, eggplant, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, jicama, squash.
- Sugar-free snacks – gums, mints, gelatins, popsicles
- Beverages – unsweetened tea and coffee, almond milk
- Seasonings and condiments – spices, dried herbs, salt, lemon juice, yellow mustard, lime juice, ketchup (1/2 teaspoon), zero-calorie sugar-free syrup and sweeteners, barbecue sauce, cocktail sauce.
Foods to avoid in optavia weight loss programs
An Optavia diet meal plan will avoid these things mentioned below.
- Fried foods should be avoided apart from those included in the Fuelings
- Any product made of refined grains such as biscuits, white bread, pancakes, white rice, etc.
- Butter and coconut oil
- milk, yogurt, cheese, and other whole fat dairy product
- All kinds of alcohol
- Sweetened beverages such as fruit juice, soda, sports drinks, etc.
One can consume the following after following a 5&1 plan in between the 1½ months of transition.
- All fresh fruits can be eaten
- You can go for low-fat dairy products
- Whole grain high fiber content foods can be eaten.
- Peas, beans, lentils, and soybeans
- Yams, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and peas can be consumed too.
As per the conventional meal plan, one can eat food sources containing a high percentage of antioxidants such as strawberries and blueberries. Berries contain a lower amount of carbohydrates and can be consumed during the transition period and 3&3 plan.
Sample menu for an optavia diet
It might be intimidating to start an optavia diet for the first time. There is no need to worry as this diet is easier to follow. Here is a 5&1 plan to follow.
- Fueling 1: Pancakes made with golden chocolate chips. You can add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup (sugar-free).
- Fueling 2: Drizzled crisp bar containing berries
- Fueling 3: Cheddar poppers containing jalapenos.
- Fueling 4: Vegetable noodle soup (chicken flavored and home-styled)
- Fueling 5: Strawberry shake
- Lean and Green meal: grilled chicken breasts (6 ounces) prepared with a teaspoon olive oil, served with salsa and avocado. 1½ cups of mixed vegetables (cooked) containing zucchini, broccoli, and peppers.
- For snacking, you can go with a fruit-flavored fruit pop (sugar-free)
Frequently asked question regarding Optavia Meal Diet Plan
Is Medifast and Optavia the same?
The Optavia diet, as mentioned earlier, is designed by Medifast. The only difference between these two diet terms is that Optavia is accomplished via 1-to-1 coaching.
Is Optavia a ketogenic diet?
No. Optavia diet includes more carbohydrates than a ketogenic diet. The latter contains as low as 20 grams of carbohydrates for daily consumption.
Can you do Optavia on your own?
This diet plan is designed in such a way that a person can easily avail of the Fuelings or packaged home-style foods to follow. You can also prepare ‘lean and green’ parts of the diet plan easily.
An optavia diet is designed for adults who want to lose weight conveniently. Patients suffering from any medical condition need to consult a dietician first.
What are the side effects of Optavia?
An optavia diet packs 800 to 1000 calories a day whereas an adult needs 2000 calories daily. It can also mess with the eating patterns for breastfeeding women and patients. The cost of this diet can be higher compared to other plans. The foods prepared are highly processed too.
Optavia diet reviews
- Losing weight is easier with this diet plan. It is hard to stick to it. When you regain your original diet regime, you might gain weight.
- My eating habits literally changed and become healthier. The diet has led me to lose weight significantly and I am recommending it to my kin.
- It is easy to follow due to the intelligent thinking of Medifast. It costs a little higher than conventional expenses. If you can manage, go for it. It will surely help.
- Optavia diet has changed my lifestyle. It will surely help you regain your health, physically and mentally.
Before choosing an optavia diet, you need to seek medical attention and find out whether it is suitable for your health or not. In most cases, people tend to forget checking the expenses too. The calorie restriction will surely help you lose weight but it is ideal when you do it under an expert’s supervision.
Jackson Roy’s client work mainly focuses on health transformation enabled by technology. He wishes to bring transformation to the health care industry and has a keen interest in writing informational articles.