Sun allergy appears to be the condition in which itchy red rashes are seen on the skin due to sunlight exposure. There are many people who have a hereditary kind of sun allergy. People, who are severely attacked by sun allergy, need to follow some preventive measures to keep themselves protected from harmful UV rays that are absorbed by the skin. Here you will be provided with the causes and symptoms of sun allergy so that you can protect yourself from harmful sun rays.
What Causes Sun Allergy?
Sun allergy occurs due to excessive exposure to sun rays. Some people also inherit sun allergy from others of their families. We are going to mention some food items that have the potential to cause sun allergy. You need not be careful regarding the intake of those food items regularly without knowing how they can be harmful.
- Compounds present in lime, parsley, and celery have the potential to cause a bad reaction to the sun on your skin. Do you take these foods? If yes, you need to be cautious about the amount of intake. While you expose your skin to the sun after touching lime, phytophotodermatitis may be experienced by you. As a result, your skin will begin to burn and itchy rashes will appear after some time. The same incident may happen if you come in contact with sun rays after touching parsley or celery.
While the exact cause for sun rashes cannot be mentioned, some other forms of sun rays may cause rashes to those who are sensitive to those. Sensitivity to sun lamps can cause an immune reaction that will result in sun rash. If you are a female with light skin (less melanin present in the skin) and live in the Northern areas, you are prone to sun rashes.
Sun rashes are likely to affect portions of the skin that generally are much exposed to sunlight. The appearance of sun rash varies on an individual’s sensitivity to sun rays. A valid reason regarding an individual’s photosensitivity is difficult to measure and determine.
How Does Sun Allergy Affect People?
Sun rashes are the external outcome of sun allergy but you need to know which are exactly caused due to sun allergy. The appearance of skin affected due to exposure to the sun may vary largely depending upon the cause of that disorder. The signs and symptoms can include:
Redness: Your skin may appear to be red if you are attacked by sun allergy due to excessive exposure to the sun. Sun rashes are usually red that can make affected people’s skin look red. Have you ever faced such problems? If yes, then you need to consult a physician who will guide you about a remedy to keep yourself safe from this.
Itching or Pain: You may feel pain or itching at certain parts that have become red as an effect of sun allergy. It may be continued up to a long period of time. If this happens don’t waste your time. Take advice from a doctor. Once you ignore such pain and itching, you may be affected by fatal skin disease. Do you know if your skin is photosensitive? You should consult your physician who can help you with this matter.
Scaling, Crusting, and Bleeding: It may happen that you will find scaling in certain portions of your skin that were previously affected by sun allergy. Sometimes these portions may bleed if you ignore it at the first stage. To protect your skin from sun damage, you need to take possible preventive measures so that sun allergy effects can not lead to bleeding from the affected areas of your skin.
Blisters or Hives: Sometimes your skin may be affected by sun allergy with blisters or hives. Sunlight exposure most of the time affects human skin with hives or blisters. If these occur, you need to go to a physician so that he can guide you about what measures need to be taken to protect your skin from further damage.
Now you know how sun allergy can affect your skin. It is not expected that you look awkward due to sun-burnt red skin. As your skin is visible to others, you require to control skin damage caused by an allergic reaction with the sun. Keep on reading. We are going to provide you some ways that can help you to protect your skin from any damage that sun rays have done.
How Can You Save Yourself from Sun Rashes?
Follow the ways of prevention that may protect your skin to be damaged from excessive exposure to sun rays.
- Certain compounds in some vegetables and fruits can offer you protection from harmful UV rays. You need to increase the intake of fruits and vegetables so that your skin becomes strong enough to fight against harmful UV rays. Artificial sweeteners such as sodium cyclohexyl sulfamate and calcium cyclamate can cause photosensitivity which may be controlled using herbal remedies.
- You should try to avoid staying in contact with the sun during peak hours particularly between 10 AM to 4 PM as much as possible.
- Don’t forget to avoid sudden exposure to lots of sunlight. Do you know why? Many people are prone to sun allergy, especially in summer and spring. Try to make your skin cells adapt to sunlight exposure gradually if you are prone to sunlight. Your skin cells may not be able to endure a lot of sunlight if exposed to sun rays suddenly.
- Do you know what type of clothes you should wear? You need to use protective clothing while your skin is directly exposed to sunlight, try to wear cotton clothes. Don’t forget to put on sunglasses so that your eyes don’t come into contact with harmful UV rays. Your dress needs to be long-sleeved to cover your skin.
- Spend at least thirty minutes after you put sunscreen on your screen. Don’t forget to use it daily before going out. If your skin isn’t prone to sun allergy, sunscreen appears to be helpful in protecting your skin. You have to wait thirty minutes after you apply this to your skin. Broad-spectrum sunscreen of at least SPF 30 should be used.
- While you know that a particular substance can cause a skin reaction, you need to be careful of using that for protecting your skin from damage due to sun exposure.
Now you have learned what the consequences of sun allergy are. You have seen that skin is mostly affected by sun allergy. Would you like to allow skin damage? Don’t forget that your skin is visible to others. So, you can take the help of the above-mentioned ways of sun allergy treatment. The ways may not be equally applicable to all. However, individuals need to consult a physician to take proper medicines as per their photosensitivity level. The effects of sun allergy may cause harmful skin diseases if not cured timely. Allergy-prone people must be careful about this. The immune system may be affected due to sun allergy or sun poisoning. Therefore, you need to take advice from a doctor about the intake of anti-allergic drugs.
Jackson Roy’s client work mainly focuses on health transformation enabled by technology. He wishes to bring transformation to the health care industry and has a keen interest in writing informational articles.